THE DEADLINE FOR THE CALL FOR ARTIST PARTICIPATION HAS NOW PASSED. THE ORGANISING COMMITTEE WILL NOW LONGER ACCEPT PROPOSALS FOR KLA ART 012. BUT YOU CAN FOLLOW ALL OUR ACTIVITIES HERE AND ON FACEBOOK.
To all Ugandan Visual Artists,
KLA ART 012 is the first Festival of Contemporary Art in Kampala, initiated by Afriart Gallery, AKA Gallery/Tulifanya, Makerere Art Gallery/MIHCR, Nommo Gallery, Uganda Museum, Goethe Zentrum, Alliance Française, and 32° East Ugandan Arts Trust.
Our aim is to promote contemporary art in Uganda by exploring different ways of exhibition and communication. Under the theme “Innovation in the arts” we envision to set free creative ideas, to think outside the box, to bring art to the people, and to strive for innovation in art production as well as presentation. 12 shipping containers will be set up as exhibition spaces, located outside the participating venues and in the public space.
Who can participate?
Contemporary artists (individuals or small groups) from, or residing in, Uganda
What to submit?
- Motivation letter expressing your reason to participate in the festival (max. one page) (Feel free to download and use this simple Motivation letter template)
- Portfolio including a short CV (max. one page), an artist statement (max. 250 words) describing your work and philosophy, images of previous works (max. five photos) and two references (Feel free to download and use this Artist cv template)
- Project proposal – description of planned project including visuals (photos, designs, sketches, drafts, etc.) and a budget estimate (Feel free to download and use this Project proposal guide template)
- Feb 15th 2012: Deadline for submission of proposals
- April 2012 (date to be confirmed): Artist workshop, 2 weeks
- Sept 2012 (date to be confirmed): Submission of art works and installation
- Oct 2012 (date to be confirmed): Kampala Contemporary Art Festival
A committee will select 20 artists to be invited to a project development workshop in April 2012. The workshop will be facilitated by artists and curators with expertise in contemporary art. The participation in the workshop is mandatory. Thereafter, 12 artists from that group will be selected to realize their projects at the festival. We will allocate basic funding for the projects.
Any art form in 2D or 3D, for example: painting, sculpture, print, photography, video, digital art, multi-media, installations, etc.
1 art project (installation/series), to be exhibited inside and outside the container
- An international jury will award prizes, and
- the audience will vote on an Audience Award
Please hand in your complete proposal including additional material no later than Feb 15th 2012, 6 pm, at Goethe Zentrum Kampala, Mackinnon Road, Plot 6, Nakasero, Kampala or at Makerere Art Gallery, Margaret Trowell School of Industrial and Fine Arts, Makerere University, Kampala. Don’t forget to include your phone number and email address!
It is possible to submit an oral presentation of the Art Project that will be videotaped. Please send a request to the committee if you prefer that.
Documents in .PDF (right-click and save)
- Download this Call for Artist Participation as a pdf.
- Download the Artist cv as a pdf.
- Download the Motivation letter as a pdf.
- Download the Project proposal guide as a pdf.
If you have any questions, please post them below.